PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome?
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2008, 09:17
twochai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, not Wainwright, not Beechey Island, although they're both close.

Unortunately, I'm going travelling and will be out of touch for 24 hours so I'm going to have to bring this one to an end prematurely! The answer is, in fact, Eureka, in the eastern arctic territory of Nunavut.

Eureka was recently the most northerly point of landing of two intrepid DHC Beaver owners/enthusiasts from Seattle who are currently on the final stages of a a very ambitious circumnavigation of Canada in two Beaver floatplanes! Flying up the BC coast and across the Rocky mountains to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, and north to Inuvik on the Arctic Ocean they then headed east to follow what is generally known as the Northwest Passage to Cambridge Bay, Resolute Bay and then up to Eureka. The trip was meticulously planned with satellite communications and modern GPS navigation devices, of course, but otherwise they just landed when the weather deteriorated, erected tents and camped out on the tundra until the weather improved to allow onward flight, just as the pioneers did 60 years ago!

The rather tenuous historic connection I claim for Doug DevRies and Mark Schoening is their landing on floats at Eureka, a very lonely Canadian weather station located at 80 degrees north latitude. I believe they must have broken some sort of record for the most northerly landing ever undertaken by a floatplane anywhere in the world because only recently, with the effects of global warming, has there been enough open water to permit such an escapade.

Their exploits can be followed on their excellent website at:

The Great Actic Air Adventure

I commend it to anyone interested. Discovery Channel documentary to come.

Again, I apologise to all, I thought we could complete it in time, we were so close. Regrettably, now it must be: OPEN HOUSE!

Last edited by twochai; 17th Sep 2008 at 10:20.