PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC - current suggestion for where's best to do it?
Old 17th Sep 2008, 08:52
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMC training

I'm doing mine right now.

My original intention had been to do it full time, however this has proven impossible.

I did the groundschool for the course some time ago and indeed passed the examination without difficulty.

However, when I came to do the flying side of the training, I found there was a good deal of practical know-how that needed to be learned on the gound. To fly without doing this additional ground learning to a high standard would have been a waste of money. I refer, of course, to practise at tracking to and from NDBs with RANT. This has taken up a good deal of time and I am not finished yet.

Likewise, the required 15 hours of flight training for the IMC is only a legal minimum. I expect, and have budgetted, to put in much more than that amount of flying time before I complete my course.

I do know some people apparently do manage to do the IMC in a week. Perhaps they are particularly gifted. Or perhaps they are retired airline pilots who don't want to be bothered keeping a full IR valid. I, however, am not one of them. I fully expect my IMC to take a couple of months to complete.

However, I must say, I do enjoy instrument flying hugely.

Broomstick.

Last edited by BroomstickPilot; 17th Sep 2008 at 08:58. Reason: Further thought