PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U206 missing - Northern NSW
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2008, 08:43
AnyGivenSunday99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As low time pilots, it would be safe to assume we have just shelled out a huge wack of cash to our respective flying schools - would it not be wise to call those who know us best if we are in doubt IE our instructors?

They have flown with us for hours, rapping us behind the head with a WAC ruler when we c**k up, and so are aware of most of our strengths and limitations. I do agree however that at some of the "academies" many of the instructors are green horns themselves, so why not call and ask to speak to a senior instructor? After all, I think it would be wrong of them to take all our money and not be there when we need them most. Sure we arn't giving them cash anymore - their advice may be the only free product you can get for the years of poverty you have endured...

Fortunately enough for me, when I have been faced with the go/no go question, one call to any of my previous instructors has always put my mind at ease as they would talk through the situation to assist in making the decision. This has definately saved my life once or twice. I will continue to ask for advice whenever i am concerned about a situation i am facing, and when I am worried about doing the right thing. (even if it is just about the nasty rash... )

Common sense goes a long way. One thing i would suggest though to our more experianced guys - we dont want to hear about how brave you are and that we should "harden up". PLease listen to our concerns and don't make us feel like we are stupid. We are worried and we need your expert advice. We know you are busy, but if we feel so unsure that we had to bother you, you can rest assured it is serious. Your reassuring words and advice might just save our lives.

Thats just my two bob's worth.

Happy landings,

AGS99

My thoughts are with the families of all involved. A great guy, and such a tragedy. May they rest in peace...