PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U206 missing - Northern NSW
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2008, 03:28
maxter

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a great believer in 'Mentors' but I am not that certain this is always practical. Would you like to be giving advice to a 'low houred pilot' on a go/no go situation over the phone/remotely.

What should happen is that these pilots should be encouraged to seek out advice/help from those more experienced and somehow the the notion that 'fortune follows the brave' that we have all seen creep into PPL's especially, needs to be dispelled by words and our examples.

I have 2 very clear memories/learnings. (amongst many others)
1) In the mid 70's I was forced to land at Mudgee due weather/fog on a VFR flight to Port Macquarie. It was my first encounter with George Campbell. The quiet way he took the time to lead me through the flight I was planning, over a cup of coffee, has stayed with me to this very day as clear as if it was yesterday. In summary Don't be in a hurry, look carefully at your track re terrain etc, nothing is important enough to die for. (G.A wise) He encouraged me to do a plan via better terrain South and compare the time. Big looking dog-leg on the map with little time penalty and a lot easier on the stress level. (I was planned over the tiger country)

2) 1981 approx, going home, from a wedding we all enjoyed, and under severe pressure from 2 passengers that needed to be at work next day. Departed Kempsy but decided weather not suitable for coming NVMC portion, despite the forecast, and returned. Graphically brought home to me when next morning I hear of the light plane crash at Barrington tops. Even my passengers agreed nothing was that important.

These are the sort of messages that needs to get through to G.A. Especially at the stage where thay have enough hours to be over-confident but not enough to to understand the risks they may be taking.

We need more George Campbells for PPL's to learn from as they progress through their flying experiences. His example is what I would call great mentoring.