PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Separation between arrival and departure aircraft
Old 17th Sep 2008, 02:28
Tarq57

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Tarq 57
In what condition you could issue a conditional landing clearance, and can you take an example?
Thanks.
I don't have the MATS in front of me, but, basically, by day, when the visibility is >5000M, a conditional landing clearance may be issued prior to the required runway separation existing provided there is a reasonable assurance it will exist at the time the landing aircraft crosses the threshold.
An example might be the case of an aircraft just landed, commencing the turn off the runway. The next aircraft is at one mile final. It will take approx 20 seconds for the landed aircraft to finish vacating the runway. You can then say "XXX Boeing vacating runway left, cleared to land."

Caveat.
If the vacating aircraft has a problem and stops still infringing the runway, the pilot of the landing aircraft should notice this and overshoot, but I see it as also the tower controllers' responsibility to cancel his landing clearance if this happens.