PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2008, 19:30
PAJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think HSBC are right to pull these large loans from a strategic business perspective (although I know it will make flying training incredibly tough for many people - I could never have afforded to train unless HSBC had been there). HSBC are a business and offered a very unique product at significant risk, hence they want the large interest return as an incentive. The markets need this crash as credit has been given out far too wrecklessly for too long. Once things stabilise, I would have thought some sort of similar financial scheme may be made available. I know cadets who have the £60k loan, a further £15k for living costs and Foundation Course, then have £12k in student loan from uni plus other debts. With interest, that will come to about £130k and that is a huge huge financial responsibility for someone who might only be 21/22! We'll have to see how things respond but CTC cadet intakes will surely drop over the next couple of years, although I think CTC have managed to fill courses well into 2009. There are about 280 cadets in the system at the moment I think and getting all these guys into jobs will be a massive massive task! That includes the guys who are not due to be ready until 2010 but still, no mean feat!