PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlink Politics
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2008, 15:16
Setron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for coming out from under your rock, reptile!
I am quite aware what ALPA is and does, but thanks anyway for the informative advertising!
If you haven't noticed, Tin Tin is quite an extremist but is as much entitled to his opinion as you are to yours, regardless on how much or little thinking was going on before.
As you are out now let me give you some info that you should have had before you pressed the key's:

During my time at AL(when it was still called SAAirlink!) we the "Jet-guys" were the outcasts, the hated ones, the bandits that were out to steal jobs from the more deserving!
The Jetstream-union(APA) was doing everything possible to get us fired and/or our careers put on hold indefinitely. Aim: If they are not fired, then they must be made to quit!
Yeah, the good old days, I can still smell the napalm in the air!
We, from our side tried to get some talks with APA going to get our views across, but were treated like scum and in fact as the enemy.
With no representation and joining ALPA meaning giving voice automatically to APA and through this more power to get our ass kicked, we decided after several failed attempts to be part of it, to start our own representation.
ALPA did't what to hear anything about a separate branch, as there was one already (the jetstream-union called APA)!
And we grew in size rather quickly, cause pilots are not stupid and know when they are abused by a frew individuals.
Solidatity was open for everyone, even the shunned chairman from APA!
ALPA never bothered to find out why they lost members(We are soooo big, we have everything under control, there is nothing else then us anyway,...).
To cut a long story short:
Solidarity won the trust of the majority, despite the bitching and moaning from the old, leftover APAniens which even helped management by leaking information in order to sink the new Solidarity ship!!!

So my friend,.. if you know ****, then don't talk about things, because it might be only **** you are talking!

We did exactly what you said:
If you want an association to work you need to stand together, pitch in when help is required and stay involved. The last point is very important - if the committee starts heading of on their own tangent, it should be swiftly pointed out and corrected - even it means electing a new committee
Read and investigate before you make stupid comments!
I said ALPA just failed in the form of APA, cause they had not the ability or willingness to see that there were pilots in need of some better representation. ALPA is still an organisation that can and will succeed in other theatres of operation (like SAA...)
Now go back under your rock and think a little for a change!

I know you are a "Bill" but try to be a "Steve" some times!