PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - equipment cooling
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2008, 14:23
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different strokes for different folks...

Remember...
xxx
You got airplanes (most USA airlines) which have overhead panel switches ON/OPERATING when they are DOWN or FORWARD... and rest of the world airlines generally ask Mr. Boeing (and former Mr. Douglas and Mr. Lockheed) to have overhead panel switches ON/OPERATING to the UP or AFT position...
xxx
The only USA airline that was doing like the rest of the world was TWA. When they merged into AA a few years ago, I am sure that AA and ex-TWA pilots were insulting each other every time they switched their landing lights ON or OFF...
xxx
What makes me laugh, are these airlines that acquire airplanes "second hand" from other airlines, with completely different "switchology" and instrument types and location, a headache when you have a fleet of "same type aircraft" which have a dozen different cockpit set-ups. On top of that, you do your initial or recurrent training in a simulator of (yet) another airline.
xxx
With PanAm, we had our original 747s... Then we had some 747s acquired second hand from American, United or Singapore. When we first sat in the cockpit, it was our joke to first say "where are the switches", and "what do we have and do not have on this bird"... before doing our cockpit set-up.
xxx
And then I had contracts with other airlines...
THEY want pilots to be STANDARDIZED...?
Why don't they standardize their airplanes as well...?
We already have to study a zillion different limitations for the same type.
xxx

Happy contrails