PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting Salary In Regional Airlines
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2008, 12:55
av8r76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hang around a bit longer and get your command. Not worth it moving here at this point. Pay is better, vertical mobility is better and they really don't regard outside experience highly as pointed out with square/round peg and the exposure from GA in Canada. A better option would be is to check out
avcanada.ca which will give you a better and more accurate picture of the state of Canadian aviation.

I moved from Canada to get a job in your neighbourhood and as much as I miss Canada, flying is more than paying the bills and command on a medium jet is a lot closer than it is for a lot of folks in Canada... not that that's everybody's thing. It was a big sacrifice cos I kid you not when I say that the standard of living is WAY higher in Canada than it is in India (not necessarily on a pilots salary). But the point I'm making is that there are tons of guys who can literally walk into a job on much bigger and better equipment anywhere in the world but choose to stay due to personal reasons. I was lucky enough to have a wife who didn't mind leaving Canada so the transition has been much better.

A whole lot of expats in the Gulf are from Canada and moved there reluctantly due to the parade of bankruptcies and shutdowns that have plagued Canada since as far as I can remember. And unlike India or a significant part of the world there is no such thing as DEC since there are WAY too many guys with a lot more experience... might not be a push button 320 but the venerable GA of Canada. So if the economy sneezes you will lose your job at the bottom of a very long seniority list in say.... AC (which...based on the replies you have NO shot at anyway) and have no other viable options on similiar a/c types.

Stay where you are dude. Get the LHS, make the big moolah.... before you know it plenty of airlines will meet your experience level without requiring local GA experience (which is a prerequisite for any job in Canada apparently) or the thousands of hours required to just get an interview ( which you won't get cos you don't have any GA experience.... in CANADA).

Good luck and will probably hear on the radio over UUD. Cheers.

Last edited by av8r76; 17th Sep 2008 at 14:05.