PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prestwick living
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2008, 11:32
Me Me Me Me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The biggest financial problem moving from Manch to Scotland is the fall in house prices in England and the fact that prices in Scotland are just peaking now.
If your home in Manchester was worth £400,000 last year, it is now worth about £360,000, and will be worth about £325,000 this time next year( 4 months before PC opens). If house prices had continued to rise over this 2 year period instead of falling, your property would have been worth £480,000 in September 2009. That's a loss of £155,000. That is if you can sell your house!
The days of swapping your 4 bed detached in England for a castle in Scotland are well and truly over now.
If it was me, I would rent until the recession is over, hopefully sooner than later. ( assuming negative growth over two consecutive quarters)
I think your observation about renting is wise... I know that the company is taking some huge financial hits on properties being sold now for people who moved to the South coast en masse. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them attempt to mitigate possible huge losses on Manchester properties, for those moving north.
Holding on to your house and renting in Ayrshire may allow you to ride it out and still have your house when prices start to rise again.