PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2008, 22:32
justme69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More details from the draft of the Accident Commission preliminary report (to be made public in a week or two):

Everytime you see something in parenthesis, it's my own "opinion" to try to make sense out of the not-completely-clear reporter's interpretation of the CIAIAC's document.

-The airplane didn't have the flaps deployed when it tried to TO.
-The CVR didn't register any configuration warnings/alarms.
-"The (I'm assuming WOW) sensors went from ground mode to air mode"..."but the wings sensors (I'm assuming the flaps?) indicated zero degrees during rolling". They conclude, the flaps weren't deployed at the time the plane was taking off.
-The commission says that the airplane's manufacturer's recommendation on checking cfg alarms on every flight was issued 21 years ago and may have not reached Spanair ever as they didn't operate MD-82's at that time and wasn't mandatory. The alarms were not tested for that flight.
-The TO employed aprox. 1950m of runaway.
-Crew calls out VR at 14:24:10 (it seems they don't call out V1).
-Airplane elevated 12,2 meters
-While on the air, it rolled succesively to the left and right twice (i.e. on two occassions, that is, left, right, then left right again).
-Fifteen seconds later after take off, the stick shaker activated.
-Four seconds later, an aural warning alarm went off (terrain?).
-No warnings/alarms on flaps/slats.
-First indications show engines behaving properly according to situation. No signs of prior fires or malfunctions found so far.
-Investigation still hasn't concluded why the airplane was not in the right configuration (i.e. why not fully in ground mode).

Last edited by justme69; 15th Sep 2008 at 22:54.