PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2008, 17:59
justme69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Me 69 quotes a Spanish pilot
"Then the aircraft yawed to the right...."
My bad there. I used "yawed" while the news piece just uses a term that, following the context, must be different from roll but would make the forward direction of the airplane change.

Literally, for those with better aeronautics translation skills:

"Dijo que en el momento posterior al despegue, el avión tuvo primero una caída del ala izquierda y acto seguido una caída brusca del plano derecho, totalmente anormal. A partir de ahí, siempre según la declaración de este experimentado comandante, el avión comenzó a virar a la derecha mientras iba perdiendo altura. Añade que, pocos instantes después, observó un fogonazo por la zona del motor izquierdo y de la cola del avión."

The best I can LITERALY translate it is:

"He said that in the moments after the take off, the airplane first suffered a drop of the left wing and right away an abrupt fall of the right surface (wing), totally abnormal. From that point, according to the declaration of this experienced commander, the airplane started to TURN to the right while it was losing height. He adds that, an instant later, he observed a flash in the area of the left engine and the airplane's tail."

Regardless of what happened exactly, from what little I know about physics, the engines were probably not very "happy" in the "low speed/near stall/hot air/tail wind/heavy weight/steep angle of attack" situation the airplane seems to have been, right?

Last edited by justme69; 15th Sep 2008 at 19:02.