PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2008, 14:07
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I make no comment or inference on this accident since the investigation is still proceeding.

But on the issue of correct configuration for take off and confirmation of same I would like to suggest that this starts at the ab initio stage. Most light trainers include "Flaps" on the Before Take Off Checks - the correct response to this should be the the actual desired setting (Up or "x" as appropriate) AND a visual check on the wing that the flaps are correctly set for take off and/or observation of the flap gauge. Obviously a visual check is rarely viable or applicable on the big jets but tactile confirmation of where the flap lever is positioned and the correct settings on the flap gauge/indicator is necessary.

The point I am making is that this discipline starts at the basic stage which, I would suggest, avoids the "reply by rote" without really checking.

Decades ago I recall an RAF poster which said "Vital Actions require Conscious Thought" (or words to that effect) to emphasise how important it was to confirm such parameters were correctly set.