PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - William to transfer to RAF
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2008, 13:02
Jackonicko

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts
It's a welcome development in RAF recruiting policy. The fact that a youngster can now nominate his chosen role before training means that the RAF will now be able to attract the best of the peaceniks, wheezy kids, etc. who may have moral or medical difficulties with becoming glass chewing warrior types.....

This is forward-looking stuff. The keen airline wannabe will be able to sign up for a short service commission on the Shiny fleet, while those with a bent for instructing will be able to decide at OASC that they'll be a creamie on whatever type they choose.

My only concern is to how the Air Force will fulfill the less popular slots. Who will be nominating themselves for the Falklands, etc.?

I'm also a bit concerned as to why it will take the bloke 18 months to get to a SAR flight. He has wings, after all, and had reached a sufficiently advanced stage to be doing legitimate land away training sorties in the Chinook. Surely conversion to the Sea King doesn't take that long?

What's that you say? But I've never heard of 'honorary wings' and that's NOT what they said when he was awarded them......