PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2008, 12:17
justme69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And more "official" details on the investigation, although again, most of them were already "unofficially" known.

-57yo Iberia pilot landing from Ecuador at 14:25, around the same time as the MD had the accident, informed of winds change, from 10 kt 200º to 5kt 50º. At 800 feet, ground control gave him a 220º 10kt wind reading. At 200' they were given 170º 10kt. But when it landed, plane instruments read east 50º winds and 5kt (somewhat sudden change in 1 minute).

-He also witnessed a large bird to the left and a smaller one to the right of the MD. He also witnessed the MD's roll to the left followed by "an abnormal and sudden roll to the right" of the plane before it started to fall. During the fall it yawed to the right. He also says he saw some flash on the left side of the plane (i.e. around the left engine/tail area).

-More survivors recently debriefed also agree on temperature inside the cabin higher than normal (i.e. air condinitioning not on or not properly working while the plane was attending the RAT issue and perhaps during TO shortly thereafter). They also confirmed that someone inside the airplaned shouted that the wing was going to touch the ground.

-I'll spare details, but once again more rescue workers briefed by the investigators confirm that the fire and smoke caused all sort of problems and damage.

10 survivors remain hospitalized, only 5 with significant medical issues. One remains in intensive care, but doing significantly better.

Last edited by justme69; 15th Sep 2008 at 12:43.