PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlas Polar
Thread: Atlas Polar
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2008, 07:47
clyde87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was actually going to respond and then thought better of it after noting that I was going to the http://www.atlasforteamsters.com site under Q's and A's, The Facts, Administrative, and Documents to get the answers to many of your questions.
If you mean the part that I read with all the vague answers with, what seemed the credibility of the "Rumor Board", then I've already read it. The questions asked were not answered.

I would think a more informed answer to your questions not address by those pages can be made to their questions email address on the Q's and A's page if it does not involve them repeating themselves.
Cool, the teamsters answer questions if it's not inconvenient for them. Just like I remember.

As to Netjets, you will have to ask them why they left. Just like you would have to ask why USAir left ALPA recently. Forgot how many thousands that was.
Good no call, followed by a distractor. I know being now 3 posts in, I'm either 1) up to no good and want to start an argument or 2) I'm a moron in your eyes, and that's fine, but let's have some real answers about your cause.

Like everyone else in the industry, I have friends that worked there. They left the IBT because the represenation level was not there, and they had no professional negotiator helping them during the last contract cycle. It is FAR more significant because that SINGLE company was the MAJORITY of the IBT Airline division membership.

Irbcases.org - don't know how to address that one just like I don't know how to address the past Federal investigation of ALPA President Prater for misuse of union funds for flight pay loss payments to some of his council members at pay rates in A/C they were not in and also their working on his election while being paid by the union under flight pay loss. I believe that is a no-no along with a few others things investigated. I don't know if that got dropped or just put on the back burner by the Feds.
I think a settlement, that even though it's not an admission of guilt, but looks alot like one, is lightyears different than an investigation. I'll even bet if the Prater investigation goes somewhere, I doubt there will be an independent review board required, or memebers permanently banned.

Some of what you asked administratively has not been done yet, let alone the fact that ALPA has not been decertified yet. One has to happen before the other can be completed. I believe it states local 1224 would carry out those admin functions until we are up and running. Elections determine some of the infrastructure you are asking about. Positions are similar to the ALPA structure but are not exactly the same. The Administrative Documents link can give you more on that in the bylaws and such.
See, such a vague answer does none of us any good. I'd figure if you want to organize, and vote in a new representation, as an established company that's been represented for years, you'd want to get your crap together right quick. Again, no worthwhile information was provided by the website or your answer.

Financial's I can't comment on to much. I can't even get that out of an established ALPA council and national without jumping through a bunch of hoops. I do understand ALPA is in the red though. Judging from all the new ways they are trying to increase dues i.e. the recent attempt to enforce paying dues on your 401k and the selective council to council funding cuts to the bone seem to reflect that. Let alone the ALPA staffing cuts over the last year.
Nothing wrong with jumping through hoops for an established system. I have no problem with that. Those are actual numbers. I'd expect the same should representation change. However, pointing out ALPA's glaring deficits in areas we all see everyday is just insulting. I am a member of ALPA. I understand the weaknesses. From my experience at both unions, the ALPA cuts in funding and staffing still have them ahead from the IBT airline division.

And of that 22% "gratuity" we send from the local to the int'l, about .0001% will come back in the form of the Trucker magazine. That's all we'll see from the Int'l.

I've lived through both systems. I can say with 100% certainty that alot of the "promises" will not come true. Until more questions are asked, and honest answers returned, I will refuse to change my stance.

Based on the closed thread that I read, prompting me to post my first post, and my actual experience with the IBT, I asked some questions.

Nitty, have you been an Airline Division Teamster? Have you ever filed a grievance as an Airline Division Teamster? Ever been through a contract negotiation process as an Airline Division Teamster? Ever had to fight a legal or medical issue as an Airline Division Teamster?

I have, or have had close friends who have, done all of those. I can tell you the "resources" were far less than promised. Go to www.republicpilots.org and ask some questions about legal representation. Big hornet's nest about that right now.