PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2008, 07:15
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
The “A team” must have been on at Williamtown today. I would like to thank the controllers concerned. I was transiting from the north to the south through the lane, with 5 people on board the Agusta A109, including 3 children below the age of 6.

When I received my clearance at Broughton Island, it was the typical clearance to report at Port Stephens Light at 500 feet. The problem was that there was a 45 knot sou’westerly blowing over the headland at Port Stephens. The turbulence would have been very uncomfortable.

Remember, a little over a year ago, a young pilot ended up with his Cessna 152 in the water in similar winds – luckily living from such an ordeal.

I was just about to request a higher altitude when the friendly controller came back and said that as there was a strong sou’westerly, and there would be turbulence at Port Stephens Light, I was re-cleared to fly at 2,000 feet. The same clearance was given to another aircraft following.

This is excellent, especially when you consider that only a week ago I was told by a regular flyer of the lane that holding at Anna Bay has been worse than ever.

Remember, I have always said our controllers are as good as any in the world – it’s the leadership that is lacking as it resists change.