PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The old Aviation Safety Digests versus Flight Safety Australia Vive La Difference
Old 15th Sep 2008, 05:32
bushy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying with mags switched off??

I remember one of the air safety magazines described how a C150 flew from Moorabbin to Essendon, and the pilot phoned to say he had a flat battery. The instructor tried to describe how to hand start the engine, and then thought better and said "stay there, we will come over to you."

So they took off for Essendon in a twin commanche and soon found all sorts of electrical things not working properly. They had to manually lower the gear, and discovered they had a flat battery when they landed.

The article went on to say that the cause of the flat battery was that the pilot had taken off with the magnetos switched off and that pilots must pay more attention to the checklists so they could be sure the magnetos were switched on and the battery was charged.

I had a big chuckle about that, and also wondered how sick that battery must have been to not have enough power to get from Moorabbin to Essendon.

The credibility of the magazine was destroyed, and that was the last edition. it was not just a typo. The whole article was rediculous.

I can't remember which magazine it was. I think it was the BASI one.