PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2008, 16:47
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cor Blymy. Reg.
What a C.V. How about joining in the fun, you must have some very interesting tales to tell. You are more than welcome to join this happy band. I’m sure the others on this blog would be only too pleased to hear from you. As you will gather, there are quite a few “youngsters” who want to know what their relatives did in 1939/45 . You will find you get quite a buzz when you receive a reply., or a question..

I said I would describe the Arnold scheme, well this is as I remember it, Somewhere NEAR the truth. When the war started Roosevelt, the American president about that time wanted to help the British all he could , he was limited in what he could do. However, a scheme evolved, where R.A.F personnel were allowed to enter the U.S.A for training providing they wore civilian clothes on entering the states , remaining in civvies, and training at American airfields. When Pearl Harbour was bombed by the Japanese, America declared war on Germany and Japan the B.F.T.Ss where formed. This is as near as I can describe the Arnold scheme, perhaps the ppruners who trained there, would like to correct if necessary . Although they were prevented from exporting aircraft to other countries at war, before P. E . they built an airstrip on the Canada/U.S border, flew Harvards there, took the wings off, and wheeled them across the border, The wings arrived later, and the Canadians bolted them back on ready to train cadets under the Empire Air Training Scheme. Pilots trained under the Arnold scheme were awarded both American and R.A.F wings. Presumably because they trained under the American system, as distinct from the R.A.F system.
Well , that’s what we were told , I don’t know my F.F.I from my I.F.F. . Let’s see if any Arnold types add or correct.

P.S Some may not understand the reference to Brylcream. This was a very greasy hair dressing unlike today’s product, and was as commonplace as the walrus mustache . Aircrew were sometime referred to as the Brylcream boys, and some times as the intelligentsia, usually sarcastically.