PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did you raise the ££,£££??
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2008, 14:51
sensible2k4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did you raise the ££,£££??

Hi there, I have been trying for years to become a pilot. I have been to some interviews passed the tests and now I find my self at the biggest hurdle....the money.
What kind of things did you do to raise the money to pay for the training?
At the moment I am about 6% of the way there...not too bad really, living away from home, paid my own way through university too.
My current jobs pay is very poor. This led me to take up web developemnt in my spare time. I don't make much, but after the tax man takes his share it just about pays for a months worth of travel to work.
My parents support me any way they can, but I don't own my own property, nor do my parents own their farm, so a secured loan is out of the question. HSBC do offer unsecured loans but with the climate at the moment I'd be surprised if they gave me a £65,000+ loan!
An idea suggested to me was to do a swim, perhaps the scottish island version of crossing the channel (11miles across the clyde), where people to sponsor me to do the swim, and any funds raised went directly to paying for flying school.
However, I'm not one to ask for money, so for me it would feel kind of wrong taking the sponsorship money and using it to pay for training which will just ultimately benefit me.
Whats your thoughts?