PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How can you afford it?
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2008, 11:51
Artificial Horizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't matter how wealthy your parents are. The way I did it was to leave school and get straight to work in a 'mail room' fulltime. It enabled me to fly at least on average 1 hour per week with an extra hour here and there when able. The concession that my parents gave me was allowing me to live at home and stop paying board during my flying training. After 3 years I had a CPL/IR with just over 200 hours and in total around £3000 in loans which I had taken out just to finish things off. You do not have to do a full time 12 month integrated course, I would be very very wary of borrowing £60,000 to do this, it may give a very slight advantage when looking for work due to contacts between schools and airlines. Hasn't stopped me getting on though, having just turned 30 I have over 8 years of solid full time commercial flying under my belt with a 'legacy carrier' and have a 777 course penciled in shortly, along the way it has taken hard work, dedication with a good smattering of luck here and there. Anyone can go out and be a mail room 'boy/girl', have parents who can't fork out £60,000 for your training is not a show stopper at all. Having said that though if your parents can pay for a full time course for you then go for it