PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was it the same? When you were having your flight training
Old 14th Sep 2008, 11:40
FougaMagister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent post from Maude Charlee. Yes, the market conditions are pretty ugly right now, but by the time you're fully trained, things may well have changed - remember, it's a cycle! Also, if flying is the only thing you want to do, then no amount of scaremongering will change your mind. I started training in late spring 2001, finished Jan 2003; not too many jobs around then either! It took me a long time, but through sheer determination, networking and hard work (and yes, a bit of luck too) I got there; even during the "lean" years, I managed to get a few interviews/selections. Looking back, there isn't really much I would change if I had to do it all over again - not that I would want to!

All my friends from flight training days now have paid flying jobs, flying jets or turboprops, passenger or cargo or bizjets or instructing. Serves to show that those who get there are those who never give up! Remember, flight training means lots of time, effort and money, but when compared to finding your first flying job, it's the easy bit! It might sound like something out of "the Right Stuff", but if the current situation makes you wobble, then you probably don't have what it takes.

Now I'll qualify my answer: in these uncertain times, train at your own pace, i.e. go modular (you will also save money); choose an FTO according to your needs and criteria; and don't pay up front. Ever.

Cheers