PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Serv International - Threads Merged
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2008, 11:33
MungoP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once again 'aime'... I do sympathise with you over your predicament but let's not compare apples and oranges here... The recent tragic event at Bukavu involved a sub-contractor of ASI not AirServ itself. AirServ could just as easily been contracting out to any one of several other SA companies who would be reponsible for the aircraft's maintenance and crew training...

All pilots sitting in the left-hand seat come under pressure from management to fly against their better judgement, it goes with the territory, it's happened to me regularly throughout my career..... on one occasion in southern Sudan I had to endure a series of calls from UN personnel starting with the on-site lowly appointee and continuing up the ladder almost to the top all wanting to impress on me how vital a particular flight was (no it wan't even a medical case)... it would have involved me in setting off later in the day to fly 600 miles to an airfield with unreliable lighting, arriving after dark and with no accessible alternate... I had no trouble saying no... nor will I ever have any trouble saying no when my mothers favourite son is likely to be first on the scene of the accident. Never has any decision like this had any affect on my career, other than to ensure that it continued safely.

Sounds like you genuinely had a bad break with ASI ( in my experience that itself is unusual ) ... Most of us would agree that the lady was a waste of space. Let's keep it seperate to current events.