PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Basings EK/EY/QR - informal Vote
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2008, 08:39
woodja51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basings EK/EY/QR - informal Vote

I thought that you were all bored so have decided to see what sort a response might be evoked by trying to get an informal vote on how potential basings would be received by EK/EY and QR pilots?

Given the huge and ever increasing cost of accommodation, inflation etc in all these locations, if you were to be offered a basing would you take it?

The deal would be -

gross salary ( housing/ pension/ school fees/ wages/overtime and health care/Loss of Licence).

You pay your own tax from this - like a sub contractor.

Fly 750 hours per year- same time off ( 42 days leave)

Instead of doing ( as an example )

DXB - SYD - DXB with 24 hours off you would do SYD - DXB ( 24 hours off) - SYD ...... 5 days off - repeat. Something like this.

Same would go for Melb/Per/Bne - maybe even NZ say a week of shuttles of something.

The same could be done for the US market when LAX/SFO/HOUSTON/JFK/TORONTO are all fired up.

I know this has all been said before but I had heard a rumour that EY had considered this, perhaps if some 'cleverer' than me person made a better business case they might listen?

I still maintain that if the ME operators are unable to provide adequate housing at what they are prepared to pay in the local markets, maybe they should look at overseas/remote rostering or the like.

They all seem to bitch about the price of fuel and keep asking us to save it - maybe if they looked at other options to 'motivate' us to do it they may have better success.

I had an F/O the other day who is still jammed in temporary accomodation with a wife and two kids in a two bed apartment... he thought he should ask for leave without pay until they can house him in what they promised?? Not a bad point really?

So if any of you read this vote 'yes or no' and when I get enough responses
I might push it further (or at least use it for my MBA project!!)

By the way if any of the EK/EY or QR managers are reading this at all - the first outfit to offer this possibility will signal 'game over' for the others - especially if it happened to be EK!!

But I dream....