PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: V-australia Interviews, T's & C's etc?
Old 14th Sep 2008, 06:56
TopTup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw VA as a chance to get back to Oz and fly, in my opinion, the most beautiful aeroplane in the sky. I had "heard" about the T's & C's but the only one real way to find out for myself and be in an educated position was to ask directly. So I liaised with VA to be interviewed when I was able to either be in BN or a city that they would be. They were most helpful and accommodating.

Personal expense? Not really when using staff tickets. I was coming home anyway for a visit so was able to combine the two.

Hoops to jump through? Not that difficult to be honest. A very fair (a bit of pscho-babble involved) interview process. Think DJ meets CX.

After reviewing it all and having the facts I opted not to join. MUCH better money and career prospects with my present employer: Aussie tax, car (+ associated costs), house & utility costs (paid for by present employer), insurance costs (car, house and personal) etc, etc.... Plus, a few senior Capts are moving on to VA from my present employer thus improving my seniority. In short a few more years where I am leaves me in much better financial and professional stead to come back to Oz.

So each person has to make their own mind up relative to their own situation. For me it will be a trade off of reduced salary for lifestyle.

VA were again very understanding and will happilly review my application should I seek to reapply. But then again, maybe an Oz basing with another carrier will be better. Maybe apply for domestic? Enjoy long haul too much at present. Don't know, but I can assure I will go in eyes wide open before making a decision and not listen to bitter, twisted, ill informed and gossipping school kids.

As an expat I have to assess what cost on lifestyle, that's what it came down to.

Hope that explains my individual experience with VA. Remember, an interview in a two way street. You must see if they will meet your career needs and you will be happy working with them, as much as they are interviewing you.