PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was it the same? When you were having your flight training
Old 13th Sep 2008, 12:58
Maude Charlee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What will happen?

Same thing that always happens.

At least once every decade, the industry goes into a pretty poor state of affairs, with crews being laid off and some carriers going bust. However, the industry is also pretty resilient in the long term, and full of opportunists and entrepreneurs, so it is never long before things take an upward swing.

Whatever cycles the overall world economy swings through, the airline industry generally follows the same kind of pattern, but in a more exaggerated fashion. In other words, good times are great and bad times are pretty awful.

I was unlucky enough to be in training during 9/11, yet myself and every single one of my mates shrugged it off and just got on with it. When we graduated, things were grim and we just didn't see that it would ever get any better. But it did, and quickly too. It surprised many, many people, not least of all, us. Every single trainee pilot I know from that time who successfully gained their IR, is in airline emploment, although it took some a few years to finally get there.

If it is what you want, just ignore the present market conditions, and concentrate on a successful graduation. Worry about finding a job when you are finally in a position to do so. If there isn't one when you graduate, find a way to keep current, and just kep bashing away at it. Even in the good times, the first break is always the hardest one to get, and sheer persistence and luck are always a requirement.

If you can only look at this as a potential investment opportunity, then give it up now. There is no guarantee you will ever make a decent financial return on your investment (how much risk are you comfortable with?), and nobody with any sort of passion for the job wants to sit next to a cold fish like you all day. There's so much more to life than money, and some things just cannot be bought.