PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Flight Planning Tricks, Short Cuts etc
Old 13th Sep 2008, 12:01
FRQ Charlie Bravo

Location: ˙ǝqɐq ǝɯ ʇ,uıɐ ʇɐɥʇ 'sɔıʇɐqoɹǝɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɯɐu ɹıǝɥʇ ʇnd ǝɯos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just sat it.

Before I get into it, is there anybody getting ready to sit the exam soon? I just sat it and failed (I missed a 5 pointer which is really getting to me now) and I'd love to hear what your up to. I've been chatting to another bloke from PPRuNe and it's been mutually beneficial. Anybody in Perth?

Are there any offtrack pnrs in this exam?
As Lasiorhinus said there may be; I had a PNR question with PNR for an (almost) enroute aerodrome. On a flight YSSY YPPH via H44 and Q32 overhead MTP BW is ?????, PH is Accept becoming Suit with 30 min fuel (Inter), PAD is Suit. What is PNR Norm Ops PH - PAD (ignore lateral distance between Q32 and Y135) distance reference PH?

I was really thrown by that one and spent too long on it (and I got it wrong which could have saved me from failing). What they meant by ignore lateral distance between Q32 and Y135 is that as both are one-way routes and the question was for Norm Ops (no reason to be able to fly against the route direction and Q32 is a bit less direct than Y135) fly back on Y135 but don't worry about travelling the 30 or so nm south to get to it. I really can't believe that I let that distract me from the other issues and I ended up using the wrong reserves (applied the Inter at PAD, lost 5 points or 10%, another $170 in two weeks thank you very much).

They must have added new questions to the database, cause none of my group got question on Bali!
The Bali question on my exam was just whilst enroute to Bali from BN on G326 with a GW of ????? at VINAX and TAT of ?? what is fuel burn between VINAX and GUNAM? (both are still points over the continent and there was no need to know anything about Indon). I don't know if anybody else has had other Bali questions but I'd be interested to hear them.

As somebody who recently failed I would emplore anybody preparing to sit it to do two things:
  1. Practice doing the bare minimum to answer the question accurately (if they only ask for flight fuel or other fuel burn derived answer don't worry about the GW, Lnd Wt, ETI).
  2. Do lots and lots of practice exams. Five Rob Avery exams (purchased after failing) cost me about $55. Resitting will cost me about $160 (I really don't want to re-resit).
Good luck,

FRQ CB