PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sriwijaya Airlines 737 badly damaged in landing accident, Indonesia
Old 13th Sep 2008, 10:10
Flight Detent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safetypee...

Bahhh....modern thinking is the problem...

I see both the 'modern' standard of pilot training, and that new multicrew licence (read cheap) licence stuff being a real threat to the current level of flight safety.

General statement - there are many operators out there that are little more than computer operators (game console operators), and hence rely fully on the computer screen to both advise the problem and what to do about it!

How many of the current young crop of pilots would know how to fly an airplane that's equipped with older round dial flight instruments, and thereby demonstrate their understanding of conventional navigation.

I'll say no more - I can feel my blood pressure rising - it just ticks me off when I hear of this modern stuff, when it's all just TV screens and follow the little arrow to the destination!

I had to laugh the other day when I was reading thru my QRH again, it was the statement that was the last line of the dual FMC failure procedure, it simply said "revert to conventional navigation", what a laugh!

Rant over, I'll get my own coat thanks!

Cheers...FD...