PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The old Aviation Safety Digests versus Flight Safety Australia Vive La Difference
Old 13th Sep 2008, 08:41
Barkly1992
Grumpy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain Midnight

Thank you - for those comments. I agree. It was the focus on 'cost recovery' and the obsession of others to make sure that the industry paid for regulation. A very interseting concept.

I was the Director of the then CAA Safety Promotion Unit when this happened (although on secondment to the AMATS team) and I worked with many editors of the ASD. I had joined BASI Safety Promotion in 1983 and worked with some good people including Harvey Ritchie, Allan Stephens (in BASI) and then later Dave Robson, Al Bridges and Roger Marchant (in the CAA). However, Mac Job was always the benchmark.

I couldn't believe it when the CAA (based on the fact that safety promotion did not earn income) decided to abolish the Unit and the ASD.

I took a package in January 1992 - yet some nine months later they suddenly decided that they had made a mistake and reintroduced the Safety Promotion function and introduced the FSM which was a totally different concept.

I had all of my ASDs from 1974-1991 bound in hardcover - three volumes. Roger Marchant has written in my last (no. 150) To xxx who got me into all this 11/11/91 - the date of the implementation of the first phase of AMAATS.

I wrote to the CEO of the CAA (the NZlander) and suggested that he might have owed me and my staff an apology given he had abolished the unit - caused havoc to people's lives as they left employment etc and sought new careers only to see the unit reestablished.

I think he replied but it was not memorable.