PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Colour Blindness and Indian Medicals
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2008, 03:59
jerrydenim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More info on DGCA medical and colorblindness please?

Hello All,

I'm currently working as an captain for an American regional airline and I am considering a move to India with the wife who has family in India. I have a valid unrestricted FAA 1st class medical but I do possess something know as "a letter of competence" due to a slight color deficiency. Generally I don't fare so well on color vision tests ( I've tried most all of them) but I see all of the important colors and I score quite well of some of the Ishihara plate sets. Its a little complicated but my "letter of competence" IS NOT a S.O.D.A (statement of demonstrated ability) my L.O.C. is in fact the opposite the opposite of a SODA. My letter from the FAA serves as proof to any incredulous AME's that my color vision meets all the requirements for a First Class medical and as long as I am otherwise healthy cannot be denied a first class medical, nor will I be required to demonstrate my color vision again since my ability to see the "required and necessary colors for safe flight" has been demonstrated and extensively documented to the satisfaction of the FAA.

That being said does anybody in India care in the least about my letter from the FAA? Do I have to receive a DGCA medical to fly in India? Can I work with a FAA 1st class medical? Is there any Indian equivalent to a SODA or a letter of competence? There is a chance I could squeak through a Indian medical depending on the method or the set of plates being used, but any extensive prehire medical would easily reveal my weakness. Am I screwed? Should I bother? I've had people laugh in my face before concerning my color vision/pilot ambitions so I don't take "no" easily.

Many thanks to anyone in the know on this, medical examiners in my own country are usually misinformed on this matter so I realize this question is either really simple or incredibly complicated.