PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The old Aviation Safety Digests versus Flight Safety Australia Vive La Difference
Old 13th Sep 2008, 03:18
bushy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinpis

You are right again. Prune IS a valuable communication medium. Sure, there is some rubbish on here, but there is also a lot of good stuff. This should be the subject of a whole new discussion, on another thread

I have a lot of safety digests, and yes everything else had to wait when my ASD arrived. Nothing else got done until I had read it.
ASD had FACTS, well researched. Sure, the autumn issues had lots of articles abou icing and bad weather,with the coming winter in mind, and the summer issues concentrated on things like density altitude, aeroplane performance and required strip lengths etc.
One time there had been a spate of helicopter accidents and the ASD carried an article saying that Australia's helicopter fleet would all be crashed in the next few years if something did not change. That certainly got the attention of the helicopter operators.
But it reported FACTS.
I was absolutely disgusted with an article in FSA which told the story of a pilot who flew a fully loaded chieftain into known icing conditions with a malfunctioning engine, climbed to 10,000 feet and shut it down. He then had trouble controlling the aeroplane, and descended below LSA in cloud. I think he and his pax were lucky to survive.
The headline for this article was"THE RIGHT STUFF"
This was blamed on incorrect rigging of the flaps in the "up" position, and the "old" instruments. (ATSB found no fault with the instrument system.)
I think FSA is a propaganda medium, like my TV set.