PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The old Aviation Safety Digests versus Flight Safety Australia Vive La Difference
Old 12th Sep 2008, 23:27
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ASD

Yes, I have a complete collection from No1 dated July 1953 and I agree it is priceless. Have to agree with the above posts, especially the eager wait for the ASD to turn up in the mail and the frustration when it was late!

Sadly the demise of the ASD and the creation of FSA is the result of user pays and the failure of the Government and its respective departments to understand the value of providing such a journal. I seem to recall the ASD winning some international awards. Mac Job was an outstanding editor with a passion for the job. Sadly no body like that around now and the ATSB only gets a bit of a "shared" magazine.

Of interest is the following quote from the final edition of ASD #150 in 1991:

The result of the survey we conducted to identify readres' wishes in relation to the continuation of the Digest, indicated inadequate support to warrant its continuation. However the CAA believes there is a need for the promulgation of information from time to time, and intends to provide that information in an enhanced version of the CAA News. I am sure that this publication, together with the BASI Journal, will provide an appropriate source of safety information for the aviation industry.

Signed Ron Cooper GM Safety Regulation & Standards Division
Mind you I think this Canberra speak was another way of saying we really don't want to pay for it any more!!

And of course we all know that the S in CASA should really be an "R". It is more about regulation than safety!

Sad...