PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Miles monoplane landing at Heston Airport
Old 12th Sep 2008, 22:02
FAL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't find a "quote" button on this forum and I can't manipulate the aerial photo. So, apart from me being rubbish at using this forum....

Do you mean the straight bit of road leading east from the M4 eastbound Heston Services to North Hyde Lane (north of the slip road back on to the M4 from the service area)? That is the "service" road into the Service Area. No doubt it's got a locked gate now but 30 years ago I routinely used it to get off the M4 eastbound at Heston. There was (is?) an equivalent road in the westbound services that exits at the western end and doubles back, eventually out to Cranford Lane. I used to get on to the M4 westbound that way.... (No, I deny it....)

The bit of peri track used for sprints was yards from the north west corner of the Berkley School playing field. It now seems to have become a cul de sac of houses from that aerial photo. It wasn't a U shaped bend, it was a bit of track that ended at the gravel pits/landfill, so cars turned 180 round a cone and went back down the same bit of track towards the airport buildings (by then occupied by the MoA).
Just to avoid any potential for confusion, a "sprint" is cars running singly against the clock, not racing each other on the same piece of track, so a car can do its run and finish (or in this case return to the start/finish)before the next car starts its run.

Last edited by FAL; 12th Sep 2008 at 22:35.