PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shipboard Rolling Vertical Landing - The saviour of Dave-B?
Old 12th Sep 2008, 15:17
LowObservable

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
N-a-B...
That would be my view too. And add to that the fact that there is a hell of a lot of rotational inertia in that propulsion system, and it is not going to come to full power like switching on a light.
Another aspect: if SRVLs (as Engines has said) will only be needed on a a Royal Navy Hot Day (as opposed to a Marine hot day, the Marines having the ability to control the weather) with weapons on board, does that mean that everybody (pilots, deck crew) will train for both? Or will SRVL become standard, in order to eliminate double training? And does that affect parking, recovery and sortie rates?

ME...
Good question. In a VL, wing lift doesn't matter - so it's not surprising that the F-35 appears to be designed to land with next to no AoA at the wing. But even at 60 kt (airspeed for a SRVL) that eedy-beedy thin wing is going to need some alpha to produce some lift (I should think). While the integrated controls should handle this, it does mean that the landing will be mains-first, derotate, throttle back, brake...