PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting places to fly to in the USA
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2008, 11:20
david viewing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the score with the weather in the states in Jan?
Was fairly poor for VFR on the west coast in January this year. I fly a rented 172R out of Prescott, Central Arizona, where you can pretty much fly anytime of the year. But this year incoming storms from the NW kept me on the ground in Vegas (Lovely VGT - North Las Vegas) for days (a right bore once you've been there a few times) and ruled out going west to California or much further N than Reno. That left going E where low cloud and poor vis in the Rockies set a limit that way too. Still had a nice time going up to Bishop, CA, and then to Grand Junction Colorado where I rented a car for few days until weather cleared up. Added up to a very dissapointing 15Hrs in 2 weeks! (Glad to have a sympathetic FBO).

Here's the Death Valley weather on 4th Jan 2008:

Other Januarys, I've been to Sacramento, San Diego, and through the Rockies to the plains, all VFR. But not this year.

Also bear in mind that N of Reno, most years everything is blanketed in snow, not so good from the survival perspective. This is Mono Lake in January 2005.

If you are thinking about the SW in January, you could contact James Dunn at Northaire, Prescott, regarding checkouts and rentals.