PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taranto
Thread: Taranto
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2008, 10:13
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I'm sure you've spent far more time sat on your backside in the military than I ever did, you are after all in the cocktails and Caribbean jollies branch of the Armed Forces."

You are correct I suppose, since nobody to my knowledge has made an aircraft designed to be flown from the standing position, though if you were lucky enough to ever be invited to a Caribbean Cocktail party (unlikely, I know, imagine what the guests would think!) you would find that we stand at cocktail parties in polite company.

"To follow up on my initial point though, being the untrustworthy 'senior service' its not surprising that you chaps don't have much respect for the uniform that we who have sworn an oath to Her Majesty are proud to wear. "

Incorrect on many levels.

1. I have an enormous amount of respect for my uniform. It's localised gravity enhancing effects on the underwear of girls is breathtaking and makes me very proud.

2. The trustworthy RN has never been required to swear an oath. The Monarch has always understood that your RN officer knows what is required of him in terms of loyalty and dedication. Quite reasonably, the Queen believes that for the RAF it may have to be spelt out in a "repeat after me" manner. Essentially, it is the difference between a gentlemans agreement, and a contract you might make with a known, but not entirely trusted tradesman of dubious lineage.