PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Echocardiogram?
Thread: Echocardiogram?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2008, 19:12
jp.pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an update for everyone on my progress...

I went for my Echocardiogram last Thursday, and that came back all normal. I then had my Exercise ECG at the CAA today...

When I first arrived I was asked to give another urine sample and take another ECG. The ECG still showed inverse T-wave, so I then met with the cardiologist (who by the way was absolutely fantastic), and he explained to me by drawing a diagram how the heart works, and where my problem lies. He also gave me a quick check of my upper half of my body with his stethoscope, which was ok.

I then went into the exercise room (make sure you take some comfortable shorts and running shoes), where I was hooked up to the machine and also the device to take your blood pressure.

I was told by the cardiologist that the inverse T wave should correct itself when I exercise, and if that was the case then I would be awarded my class one. Should it not then I would have to get further tests to determine if there is any problem or heart/artery disease.

The treadmill started at a slow pace at a small incline, you’re only allowed to use the front bar for support, but you can't hold onto it tight. After two minutes a blood pressure is taken (you have to relax your arm and not hold the support). After the initial 3 minutes the speed and incline is increased, and the whole routine is done again. You have to complete a minimum of 9 minutes, and if you can go further it is recommended.

I managed to go to 11mins 24sec (not as fit as I used to be), but I was at my maximum heart rate when I asked to stop. They ask if you feel any pain (chest, head etc) but fortunately I didn't. You’re then required to lie down for 7 minutes to watch your resting phase, and then once that is complete you’re sent back to the waiting room to wait for the cardiologist to call you into his office.

Fortunately in my case, I had a good exercise capacity and my inverse T wave did correct itself, but went back to inverse towards the end of the resting phase. The cardiologist was happy with my progress and awarded me with my class one.

I felt so happy and indestructible I felt like playing a game of Russian roulette!

The cardiologist did advice me that in the future I will get pulled up on this again, but I’ll worry about that when the time comes.

If any of you have any questions or are going through the same thing, then please let me know, I would be more than happy to help. It helped me to speak to others on this forum and by PM, so I would like to thank all of you for your advice. If you would like to know where I got my Echocardiogram done and cost, then please PM me; the place I went to was fantastic and the staff were great.

Regards,

JP