PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor standards falling?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2008, 17:27
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why should you get paid for any job? Just because I enjoy flying doesn't change anything. I'm lucky because I enjoy my job. I'll be damned if anyone is going to tell me that just because a job is "fun" you shouldn't recieve any pay for it.

Go tell that to Lewis Hamilton. Sorry fella, you enjoy racing too much. I'm afraid you are going to have to do it for free....

Payment has nothing to do with competence. I make absolutely no judgement on Boses abilities based on the fact he doesn't charge, that isn't the thrust of the argument and frankly I wouldn't know as we've never worked or flown together.

Supply and demand controls the market rate in our economy, but it gets sent skew whiff when someone comes in and does it for nothing because they don't need the money.

If PPL's are allowed to teach (obviously I understand that they already can....) but not get renumerated, that completely changes the economics of the business and obviously wages will be depressed by more people competing for a smaller slice of the pie.

My argument is that this will actually damage the whole industry long term. You cannot have the same control over staff who only do a job "for a bit of fun" so standards will slip. I've seen it with my own baby blues.

At one place I worked we had a bunch of PPL FI's at weekends and Frozen ATPL FI's during the week. It was chaos. There was no team atmosphere, everyone taught different things in different ways and looking back on it, it just wasn't good enough. I was a sprog at the time and didn't know any better so I thought this was normal.

If someone invests their hard earned into a nice aircraft and sets up an RF and all the gumph that goes with it, then good luck to them. They won't last 5 minutes with just one machine and one FI no matter what they charge, but good luck anyway.

You are also making the very wrong assumption that people who get paid ie CPL holders with an FI ticket do a worse job than a PPL FI would.

Seriously, that is a laughable suggestion. Some might be good, but I know lots and lots of PPL's, some of whom I even count as friends but there aren't many who I'd employ as FI's without significant re-training.

They are safe and competent pilots and have even done things like fly to other countries (shock horror!) or fly "past the fold in the map" (gasp!) but most haven't got the groundschool or the currency to become FI's without a long and expensive process, that the current FI rating wouldn't really cope with.

This is before we start going into issues like bad habits, which we can all suffer from. In fact the ones who seem most immune from the bad habit issue are the 250hr wet behind the ears mob. They are also used to learning at a phenomenal rate and are usually as keen as mustard. Exactly what I would want in any new and inexperienced employee. No matter what the industry.