PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor standards falling?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2008, 13:38
mazzy1026

Spicy Meatball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't been on this forum for a year or so now, but I caught this thread, like I tend to do whenever this subject comes up, and I feel that maybe a different perspective.You all seem to be clued up on instructing and the like, either as a professional or someone who has a lot of hours. Let me give it from my perspective (8hrs post PPL).I'm lucky to be in a very good job with good pay and conditions etc. It's nothing to do with aviation, but you'd class it as a good job. Big problem though, I have never to date woke up to my alarm and been happy about the day ahead – looking forward to my job. There is only one job in the world (so far as I know in my life to date) that I would truly look forward to going to each morning, and I believe that to be Flying Instructor. Here’s two very simple little problems: it costs a packet to train, and the wages are insufficient to live in the current era. The first problem of training wouldn’t be so much of a problem really, if I didn’t have any commitments – which I do. However, if I was to go back in time and stay single and live at home and reject any commitments, it would still take me years to build up a career to be able to afford training etc. Catch 22. Even if I was lucky to get the CPL and FI and all that, I’d still need another job to be able to afford to live. So the only other option I am left with is the PPL/FI where I can enjoy flying, and still have a career elsewhere. This is NOT a rant, but the way it IS. I am living with that, and have accepted it. I’m not going to argue about flying for free etc but I honestly have to say that if someone offered me an hour a week to do trial flights or something, unpaid, I wouldn’t say no. Bose-x, I do agree with a lot of the things you say, especiallyQuote: (button not working in works browser)"Reward does not have to be about cash, it's as simple as that. I am happy with the rewards I get for teaching so lets leave it at that."Don’t get me wrong, I’d never actively go out and seek full time free employment, because that would mean I was either rich, or had nothing better to do, in which case I like the idea of getting paid and giving the money to charity or something, therefore not undermining paid work. I do think people have been very harsh with their personal attacks (I certainly hope anyone who calls you a c*** on here never makes it to FI as I wouldn’t want them teaching me). And back to the age old argument of quality of instructors – I think it’s arrogant to pick on one particular reason why you think an instructor would be good or not. You can either teach, or you can’t – it’s probably all down to personality (but then I’m calling myself arrogant).I live in hope that one day I’ll have a PPL/FI and that I can do an hour or so here and there, passing on something I love doing. Quote:"Apprentice instructors, mentored and overseen by the professional so as to build up their teaching skills in a structured manner. These apprentices would of course receive a wage that would allow them to stay in the industry."Show me where I sign up. All the best.(Sorry for lack of formatting - works browser is junk).