PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The R22 corner: Owning, flying & training questions
Old 11th Sep 2008, 12:36
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember a thread here many years ago that came to the conclusion that you should have the wind in your left hip pocket when slowing the blades down in gusty conditions.
Not so sure about that. does that mean from your rear left quarter? If so then how do you start it if is a turbine, if you're out in the bush without ground handling gear, and the wind is still blowing?

My rule of thumb is, in stiff winds, always position the machine fifteen degrees or so off the wind, either way. One way the blades will be climbing over the tail boom, the other they will still be descending.

Its a topical question as one dude not far from here a few months ago did position his machine (an R22) on the edge of an escarpment facing directly into an approaching storm with wind gusts. Surprise surprise, as it was running down he got a dint in the tail-boom, but then flew home.

I am led to believe that his engineering team gave him the chewing he deserved.

Mind you, I would not have parked on top of the hill, where there is likely to be that nasty electrical stuff.