PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor standards falling?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2008, 12:12
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviation is a passion for all of us, just because you are happy to prostitute yourself doesn't mean you have any right to denigrate what others do.

Hours = so what, in my book. Like any job, the longer you are in it, the more experience you gain, it's just that in flying we record things to a greater degree.

Trying to say that the hours themselves have a tangible benefit is rubbish, especially nowadays.

If an FI wants to go off to the airlines, then whether they have 1000, 2000 or 3000 hours matters very little now. Does your face fit and do you have a rating/ability to pay for one is far more important than what is in your log book.

So the old, "but you are getting hours" argument is simply out of date.

If somebody does a job, then they should be paid the market rate. You don't need the money, but are happy to take work away from someone who does, just because you are "freelance"? Whether you are associated with a school or not matters not a jot. I'll fly outside of any school association, but I preform the same job, to exactly the same standard as I would in a school, so therefore I expect to get paid for it.

I have a passion for flying, but I also have a passion for paying my mortgage. People working for naff all damage that and make it very hard for the anyone trying to earn a living from teaching to do so.

Your motivations come across as incredibly selfish. "I'm loaded, so I'm alright Jack." I'm also in the lucky situation where I have a few quid in the bank and an income from elsewhere, so flying could be just a hobby for me, but I count myself as a professional pilot who has not just my own interests at heart, but those of my students and other members of the FI community. Working for free doesn't fit any of those criteria.

I've still got plenty of hours in the book, flown some wonderful machines, met some amazing people and always done my damndest to ensure that I offer value for money, but I have never worked for free and never will. I've done favours for friends and have waived my fee on occasion
(For example I had a young student who had bags of talent, but due to some horrid circumstances couldn't afford to fly anymore. I found him a cheap machine and donated my time for free as I couldn't bear the thought of him being lost to the industry and having seen how distraught he was, I just did what any normal person would do when they saw someone working as hard as he did. I helped out in the only way I could. That is alright, doing it as a matter of course is not.)

Being "trusted" with someones aircraft.......... What are you on about? You're an FI, your job is to be PIC and teach someone. How can you do that if you aren't competent enough to be "trusted"?

You do a job, you get paid. Simple.