PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2008, 09:15
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Notwithstanding the fact that fuellers are unwilling to resell fuel that has been offloaded, at carriers' home bases, I could envisage centre tanks being emptied entirely prior to refuel as a result of this, though greater fuel line heating throughout flight may be the answer.

However, as the AAIB point out, the flight profiles were extremely rarely encountered - I would like to know how rarely they have been encountered on back to back sectors as in this case in their next report.

Regarding flap - from day 1 of flying training in single-engine piston aircraft, people are taught to get rid of drag flap upon engine failure to stretch the glide.

Anyone commenting here who questions the elimination of drag flap should, I feel, return to the basic books and relearn what they clearly have forgotten. It was neither a typical glider whose aerofoils are distinctly differently designed, nor a procedure for which they had trained - the instinctive response is to be applauded.

Drag flap permits a combination of more rapid speed decay without power, and a more suitable deck angle at final approach. Perhaps if someone has a suitable 777 graph, this pointless diversion to the thread can be put to rest?

NoD puts it best:
As has been pointed out elsewhere, most airliners on a go-around call for an immediate reduction of flap setting by one or even 2 stages - yet no increase in datum speed. Again, reason is pronounced reduction in drag (increased climb performance) with little reduction in lift.