PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2400 hrs SO or FO
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2008, 01:57
Gravox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an s/o I have around 18 days off a month. I'm on what is known as W pattern, or a supercompact roster. I'll do 2 Longhaul routes back to back. (typically for me its HKG-Lax- HKG, 19-30hours off, then HKG-LAX-HKG) when I get back from these flights I have a minimum of 8 days off, sometimes if luckly out to 14, but usually 9 or 10.

I'm not sure how the DEFO interview works, but I found the DESO interview geered up to see if you could handle the Expat lifestyle.They want to know if you can live in HKG. This IS a huge hurdle and is the downfall of many of my friends who didn't get thru. But in saying that they are happy back in there home land flying for the national carrier even if it is 'deadmans shoes'. Some are still flying Turboprops waiting for the phone call from the national carrier as well.

For me it'snot about the hours in the logbook anymore, but the time I have off, and the lifestyle. I joined Cathay with 4000hours, 1000hours f/o 737. The role of S?O is a little boring, but then some of my mate love it. Each to their own.

If you love what you're doing, and you love where you are, if it's not about the money, or the lure of flying a big jet then why would you come? The grass isn't always greener.

you don't get free staff travel with Cathay, you pay for it. There is no free jumpseating like in the US either. Flights are at an all time high in capacity, so be prepared to be bumped.

Good luck with your decisions.