PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Loss of Pressurisation 25th Aug
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2008, 20:58
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hadn't been plotting exactly who said what when, but now you mention it ASFKAP, on 2nd September I see and recall that you did indeed say:
Yep, they have the shop reports for the CPCs......
Does that mean you've seen what's in them, too?

Can a pilot and/or an engineer deduce with some degree of certainty pretty much exactly what happened from that one-liner? Being a mere mortal, I cannot

Oh hang on, it wasn't your first post in the thread but your second that I missed - you said:
The fault was caused by a software anomoly in the CPC.
What basically happened is this, as you know theres two CPCs on board only one is in control at any one time, if the one in control fails the other one automatically takes over. In this case the CPC in control suddenly thought the max diff had exceeded XX (can't remember the exact figure) and so commanded the O/F valve to fully open . The CPC in command did not see itself as faulty (and neither did the monitoring one) so command did not transfer, (in fact no inflight faults were logged in either CPC). The anomoly was discovered when the CPCs were downloaded at the repair facility.
and then next post...
Yes but when the O/F valve was signalled to open it had the same effect as if a door seal had blown out, all pressure was lost instantly, any attempt to control the O/F valve manually would have been akin to trying to put the 'genie back in the bottle', the valve would have been controllable (no faults logged or found on any of the pressurisation components) but the masks had already dropped and the panic had already started, the only was was down...
I am sorry but I completely missed those last week - oops! Busy week!

So it was definitely a software anomaly? And is it one which potentially persisted fleetwide? And one that has now already been nailed by a software patch or something? Or are they using some workaround to carry on flying?

Last edited by slip and turn; 10th Sep 2008 at 21:19.