PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B1900 missing in the congo?
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2008, 18:34
Apollo20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egpws-cfit

Gents
I value all your inputs on the EGPWS/CFIT issues here, but I need to clarify something that some of us do get confused when activating the TERR INHBT function on EGPWS systems.
1) yes, the EGPWS is in demand of the internal database which includes runways of a certain lenght and longer. I agree, many African strips are not in these databases at all, BUT it does not reduce the majority of the effective use of EGPWS. Terrain inhibit should only be activated when approaching a strip not recognised in the database, where it shall inhibit certain "modes" such as glideslope warnings, BUT still renders it usefull for altitude call outs (incl minimums), if it doesn't there is a problem with the sytem that needs investigation.
2) Quite a few CFIT events in Africa (excl the russian a/c), occured in the mountains and not on long final, etc. , where as the saying goes "mountains dont' move" so your EGPWS with it's internal TERRAIN database will be your "next best friend" when you cannot see those rocks! Offcourse, there is no point in activating TERR INHBT well before you know you are establised on final (below 1000ft AGL), because if you "klap the rocks" and you had EGPWS fitted, the 1st thing I would look for (if I was an investigator) is to find the TERR INHBT switch...... so be careful when activating that little switch...
3) Chucks, I appreciate your pro approach on your post, and yes I agree that there is no "100% fail safe" system, but EGPWS surely helps. I don't know how many of you have the privelage of flying in a/c that has TERRAIN MAP DISPLAY on their MFD's / EFIS but I believe they do come in quite handy.
4) Ir Pirate, good luck, no offence, but I really hope you can get acqainted with EGPWS. You'll think twice after having flown with it....
5) South Coast, I appreciate and respect your view and although I agree 100% with the divert option, we should still factor for the "what if" there is some reason you couldn't..... your under pressure, would you not agree that EGPWS would be "must have" in such an event...?

Guys, all I am trying to do is share the "human demand" we have to consider for allowing systems to HELP us when we need it, hence, my passion for EGPWS. It's a bit like ACAS II, "lets hope I never get that RA in IMC, but if I do, I will surely react to it!!"

Apollo 20