PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA against ID Cards - TUC Congress
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2008, 18:05
oapilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having corresponded with my MP (Labour, back bench) on the matter, he is quite open about the fact that many MPs have serious concerns themselves about how this is being rolled out, the relevance of the whole project, and also I believe the principle of so much data being held in such an unsecure fashion. That is before you even get into the arguments about what the Govt wants all this information for and what use it will be in enhancing national security.
My replies from the Home Office highlight the improved security we will benefit from as a result of the introduction of National ID Cards for airside workers. They do not explain how this will come about though. This despite the fact that foreign nationals will not be required to hold them, and the incumbant Government of this country allows a system whereby foreign nationals falling into the "too difficult to check properly" category are rubber stamped through anyway. Presumably a party so concerned with spin and being seen to do the right thing would not wish to be accused of discrimination.
We as an industry are an easy target. The Govt gets to pick on a sector where you will have no choice but to comply if you wish to continue down your current career path, and at the same time gets to crow about all the proactive steps it is taking to make us all safer. Dumbing down of society that has taken place makes sense when you wish to sell the public smoke and mirrors lies. Please don't forget that our current Home Secretary was more than happy to shaft the guardians of public safety over back-dated pay deals without batting an eye-lid.
Surprisingly, if we could have a relevant, secure and beneficial scheme for National ID, I would happily support it. Sadly, we have a white elephant (to join the herd of others we have had to suffer and pay for over the last 15 and no doubt as many again) instead. And it is being driven by a bunch of people I wouldn't trust to sit the right way round on the lavatory.
Sorry to those of you having to wade through this very personal rant, but this matter has been seriously pg me off for several months now.

oap