PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alitalia (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2008, 14:47
Otterman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wages at Alitalia aren't the problem from the companies perspective. It is productivity. That is what this new entity is trying to get corrected. Way too many people for the work that is being delivered.

I did my training on the Boeing 767 in Rome at Alitalia. There were guys working there who's only job was to clean the oxygen masks in the simulator. Made my mind go wobbly just thinking about that one. Found this out after we used them one sim session, and this dude in a doctor's frock came in when the sim settled down. What this means is that you had a guy sitting in an office waiting for the oxygen masks to be used, there was a board to show when it was. You need two shifts per day, seven days a week, you have to cover for holidays, and sickness, voila you have an eight man department, where any other airline with its in house training department has zero! This is back in 2003 (so post 09/11). By the way on the day I met this gentleman there were two guys manning the office.

Maybe that excess is gone, but I am sure there are hundreds more that can be put forward by pprune readers. That outfit is sick beyond repair. And I stick to my opinion that they don't deserve to keep going. It hurts us all.

Last edited by Otterman; 13th Sep 2008 at 05:13.