PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Baggage Checkin in Flight
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2008, 13:49
jojo82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With many years as a checkin agent, this is the number one issue we have! unfortunaly on some airlines (generally asian bound flights) the passengers have got clever and realised that if they keep their handluggage with a member of family in the cafe then go to check in and show just a handbag for example they generally do get away with oversize hand baggage. For one particular airline i worked on it got so bad that we had to place two staff members at security with a baggage gauge to make sure the handluggage would fit once inside the cabin. The best time for us as checkin agents on that airline was 2 years ago when all handluggage was banned! That was just fantastic!!!!!!

Another issue is Americans! Half their handluggage is bigger than the suitcase i check in when i go away! On american carriers into and out of the uk allow such huge sizes, as its the norm in america. Arguing with American passengers can be fun when they try and take a 'suitcase' as handluggage on fokker 50! But for the airline I now work on we have DAA's which is delivery at aircraft baggage which i think is a fantastic idea. Passenger drops their bag at aircraft steps, and recieves it at aircraft steps at destination. I think all airlines should have this service as it solves alot of problems at checkin.

Handbaggage problems will never be solved! I don't aggree in weighing handluggage at checkin, and asking the passenger to take 1kg out as its 'overweight' - after security what is there? SHOPS!!! Anyone can double/triple there handluggage these days in airside shopping so all that arguing at checkin is pointless. Not to say i dont check handbaggage, i do have a quick look to see what they have and through experience you generally know if something is overwieght or not!

Arghh handbaggage, should just be banned!