PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2008, 08:07
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all the bitching about the "attitude" / "GS" / "Speed".

Firstly, by leaving the AP in, you had 2(3) crew to discuss/action the best options in resolving the real problem, which lay in the engines...

For those of you who advocate lowering the nose to maintain the approach speed (~140K) the aircraft would have ended up well short* - unless you can also show us the profile as to when to now raise the nose / sacrifice airspeed.

The Flaps were retracted ~240' (IIRC) from 30 to 25. The 30 setting is almost all drag. I suspect this was inspired - the rate of loss of IAS would have been higher with Flap 30, so the stall / stick shake / end point would again have been earlier*.

I guess that with idling engines, a suitably trained and pre-notifed crew, it could be shown to have got to the threshold before landing. Lower nose, Flaps 25 (maybe 20?), even some ground effect - but it is barking mad to even suggest this crew should have tried it Contrary to the emergency handling procedures we are all taught, and irrelevant as a "lesson" because next time it occurs 1NM further out on the approach all would change and it would not make the threshold*

The actions by this crew just got the aircraft over the A30 and onto wet / soft ground, and "landed" with a tolerable RoD that saved everybody.

*Now just go and look at the A30, traffic, and the trees along the SE side. If the aircraft had come down before there, or even "over" the road / trees at very low altitude, the results would likely have been catastrophic...

NoD

PS suggest we do not even discuss the Sim here - I really cannot believe it is accurately modelled for engines out / ground effect etc.