PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2008, 08:01
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would dearly love this sniping between factions to stop! I said eons ago on this thread that I do not know what I would have done in that situation.

As I said before, given a significant loss of available energy on the approach (as any pilot, powered or glider should know) there is an altitude above which it is beneficial to reduce flap and/or lower the nose to maintain best glide performance. There is an altitude below which is is beneficial to use the remaining energy to 'stretch' the glide. They, deliberately or inadvertently, chose the second. I suspect that at the moment of stick shake and a/p disconnect at 170' there was an awkward feeling that the choice may not have been right. All said and done, no-one died and the aircraft crashed on the airfield.

However, we cannot judge with the information we have available. I sincerely hope that some sort of 'official' analysis is produced somewhere of the 'best' solution so that it can be added to that mysterious store of 'background' knowledge all pilots have. Until then, rantings about stuffing the nose down, hydraulics being sucked dry are pointless.